The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is here and aims to empower disabled people with the freedom to decide on the services and support to help achieve their goals. It is estimated that the NDIS will provide ongoing financial support to over 460,000 Australians with significant and permanent disability in the coming years. With an increased need for more support services, the NDIS has opened the door to more choice of providers.
At Healthcare Australia, we acknowledge that shopping around to find the right provider may not be easy and that’s why we’ve created a checklist to help you on your journey to find a provider that best suits your needs. In addition to your own research, we suggest that you ask your friends, family and current Support Workers about what their experience has been with other providers has been, to gain a better understanding of what you can expect.
We recommend you consider at least three NDIS providers and ask the following key questions:
– Is the organisation person and family centred?
– Is the company culturally sensitive and inclusive?
– Do they have strong standards and quality policies in place?
– Does the organisation focus on teamwork and outcomes?
– Do they have the training, experience, skill and knowledge to deliver the supports I need?
– Does the company offer its employees ongoing training and development?
– How much flexibility does the organisation offer?
– What are their Accessibility, Feedback and Complaints processes?
To make the most of the checklist, give each provider a score of 1 to 10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest for each question. Total the scores of each question for each provider to get an idea of which one aligns best to your needs. We hope this checklist helps you during your transition to the NDIS.
Download the checklist here.