Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Healthcare Australia placement?

A contract of employment for a pre-arranged period of time between the staff, healthcare facility and Healthcare Australia (through one of our brands eg. ASEPS or NAA or NT Medic)

What is the difference between rural and remote?

Rural health services will generally have an inpatient facility.

This can be similar to a small hospital setting in places like Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs, Mount Isa, Mackay, Central Qld and Darling Downs district, Derby, Shoalhaven, NSW Mid North Coast, NSW South Coast and Murrumbidgee district and beyond.

Whereas remote facilities have minimal infrastructure and are small clinic-type settings located in isolated communities such as Balgo, Gapuwiyakand many others in Top End, Central Australia, Cape York and Torres Strait Islands.

What is the general length of a placement?

Rural and remote placements vary in length and can be between 2 weeks for RANs, however are usually 4 weeks and 6 months long. We can arrange contracts to suit your dates of availabilities with options to extend or return will be dependent on position availability and negotiation with our clients.

Who do the staff work for?

Placements can be either agency payroll (paid by Healthcare Australia) or facility payroll (paid directly by the contracted facility). Your consultant will provide you with the applicable advice regarding who you will be working for. Healthcare Australia also provides the appropriate support relevant to the type of placement.

What skills do staff need?

As we offer contracts in various locations at least 2 years’ experience is required and the skills required depend on what area of a facility or location of a facility you are contracted to, for example:

  • Emergency Department (ED)
  • Critical Care Units – Intensive Care, Coronary Care, High Dependency
  • Maternity – Dual Midwives and Direct Entry Midwives
  • Theatre – Scrub, Scout, Anaesthetic
  • Primary healthcare
  • Remote Area Nurses – REC/MEC
  • Mental Health – Acute, Inpatient, Community (Adults and Children’s), ATODS
  • Aged Care – Registered Nurses and Management

There are state based requirements, for instance:

NT remote clinics will only offer placements to Registered Nurses who are minimum 4 years post grad. Preferences will be given to staff that have previous experience, have completed a Remote Emergency Care Course in the last 2 years and hold a current About Giving Vaccines Certificate completed within the last 2 years.

You must have a current NT Working With Children’s Check & Criminal History Check.  Recent REC and AGV certificates highly desired with a background in emergency/ critical care or primary health experience.

In NSW a full serology report is required as well as a current NSW Working With Children’s Check.

Over in WA, a National Police check is required as well as a current WA Working With Children’s Check.

In SA, a DCSI check is required for aged & children.

Check with your consultant to understand the State based requirements for healthcare work in a Rural and Remote location.

What are the incentives for placements?

  • Diverse cultural experiences
  • Subsidised or paid travel and accommodation
  • Travel / work passport
  • Career planning
  • Professional networking
  • Educational support
  • Training and development
  • Uniforms

Who is part of the Healthcare Australia placement support network?

  • Regional, rural and remote consultant
  • 24 hours 7 days call centre
  • CRANAplus bush support services
  • National HR and OH&S department